I have an old thin client that I upgraded to a home server by adding some additional RAM and storage. I noticed after a recent kernel upgrade that the system seemed sluggish at times, despite doing nothing in particular at the time. top showed that a kworker process was using CPU, not all of it,
When a request is logged in Apache’s common or combined format, it doesn’t actually show you how much time each request took to complete. To make reading logs a bit more confusing, each request is logged only once it’s completed. So a long-running request may have an earlier start time but appear later in the
OpenVPN is working great and all, but I was having trouble getting my other LAN hosts to connect to the OpenVPN client system (a Raspberry Pi) while also keeping the services I normally run on it available from the internet. On the remote server, I was using redirect-gateway def1, which works but makes some assumptions
I’m running Selfoss RSS reader and loving it! One thing I don’t love is that it logs me out frequently (BTW, I’m running Apache php-fpm on Debian Jessie). But I think I found a solution. Try adding this to a file called .user.ini in the document root of Selfoss: [crayon-5dd505ead2c70567555568/] The 604800 means one week.
The NoScript extension is fantastic at enhancing one’s security while browsing. Sure, it’s a bit of pain to get used to needing to allow scripts for new websites visited (temporarily or permanently). But I wanted to use bookmarklets to post selected stuff in my Dokuwiki with the dokubookmark plugin. The problem was, every time I
Tunnelblick is an awesome OpenVPN client, which I have been using a lot lately on my Mac. I had a problem where it would connect the first time just fine, but then would never reconnect; it would seem to hang while trying to handshake with the server. I could get it to work again if
You don’t see stuff like this everyday (I hope). [crayon-5dd505ead2db3386289617/] [crayon-5dd505ead2db5317913765/]
It took a while before I figured out why LFD wasn’t logging any issues to kern.log on my Debian-based systems. I realized at some point that it worked when I first installed CSF, but then logged nothing after the first day.
The features of iconv are probably built into Perl rename (aka prename), but when I tried the example from the man page, it kept generating an error message. I presume this is due to a missing Perl module. Here’s the error: [crayon-5dd505ead2dfd760226987/] So I suppose if we don’t care much about speed then we can
Firefox URL suggestions are usually very helpful and a real time-saver. But I’ve been rather annoyed for quite a while at some of the suggestions that Firefox proposes while auto-filling the URL bar. There is one case in particular that never made sense to me.
GNU sort is normally crazy fast at what it does. However, recently I was trying to sort & unique several huge files and it seemed to be taking way too long. I did a little googling, and realized that it takes a lot longer to sort the full range of Unicode characters because it has
proprietary insecurity I’ve accumulated many notes (2000+) in Evernote over the years, and love that it can store binary attachments such as images or other media files. My favorite feature is the Evernote Web Clipper browser extension; it does a fantastic job at saving the parts of an article I want to save while keeping
Intro: The Tyranny of Prefork There are a lot of tutorials out there that go through the rote instructions on upgrading your Debian or Ubuntu system to use PHP 7. While I’m sure most of them are fine, they assume you’d want to use the prefork process model or event/threaded via CGI (via proxy and
My new favorite tool is a python program called distribution that can easily show histograms in your terminal: [crayon-5dd505ead3012173900179/] I used homebrew to install it, but you can see some usage examples and a few other tools on this stackoverflow page. I eagerly anticipate showing off some histograms to people.
Note: I’m running my Raspberry Pi as a server, and NetworkManager is not installed. I discovered that if you want to manually assign search and nameserver entries in your /etc/resolv.conf file, you can’t just add the relevant entries to static entry in /etc/network/interfaces: [crayon-5dd505ead3047678968517/] For some unknown reason, the resolvconf utility will still attempt to